Re: Origin of HaTikavah Tune

At 6:09 PM 7/3/95, 100114(dot)750 (at) compuserve(dot)com (David Herskovic)
wrote:
>The 2 opening bars of Hatikvah are strikingly similar to Smetana's
>Vldava from his set of symphonic poems Ma Vlad (My Homeland).
>
>Was the composer of HaTikvah in any way influenced by this music. It
>is notable that both are nationlistic tunes.

This sort of question -- possible influences and/or direct sources for
haTikvah -- seems to hit the Jewish music newsgroup/listserv every couple
of months. Any musicologists out there want to write a FAQ??

---
"We don't need no steenkin' home-pages." -The Gopherhole of Sierra Madre'
---
The simplest way to stop a flamewar is to breathe deeply, swallow
your bile and just LET an idiot have the last word.  -- Me
Daniel Wa1ker - walker (at) usit(dot)net - Quark XPress (QUARKXPR) list co-owner

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->