Re: S'lichot music

At 7:25 PM 5/21/95, Michael R. Leavitt wrote:
>Can anyone provide pointers to music that would be appropriate for a
>S'lichot service?  This is relatively new for our unaffiliated havurah,
>and we are pretty clueless about either traditional or nontraditional
>musical approaches.  Thanks for any help.

In my local (Reform) congregation, the S'lichot service uses music from the
High Holidays as a means of turning our hearts and minds toward the effort
of preparing for these Days of Awe -- t'shuvah.

I don't know whether or not this minhag (local custom) is universal to all
forms and localities to which we (Jews) have been dispersed. If it is
peculiar to our community, I don't know whether that's the decision of the
Rabbi & Religious Services Committee or the Rabbi himself, or whether
that's because our goyische choir only knows 15 or 20 Jewish tunes and
needs a refresher with the core congregation before the Yomim Tovim bring
the whole commuity inside our doors.

I, too, would be interested to hear what happens in other communities.

---
Ignotum per ignotius.
---
The simplest way to stop a flamewar is to breathe deeply, swallow
your bile and just LET an idiot have the last word.  -- Me
Daniel Wa1ker - walker (at) usit(dot)net - Quark XPress (QUARKXPR) list co-owner

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->