Re: Cantor schools/recordings

Tara Cazaubon (t_tarac (at) qualcomm(dot)com) wrote:
: I am looking for a listing of cantor schools in California, specifically in
: or around San Diego if one exists.  Also, does anyone have a recommendation
: for recordings of the prayer chants by a good cantor?  I am shopping for a
: recording to help me learn the words/music better. A CD would be better
: than a tape, but a tape is better than nothing.
: Also, any recommendations on good Israeli music (your favorite album)?
: Thanks for your reply.
: Shalom,
: --
: Tara Cazaubon
: San Diego, CA
: tarac (at) qualcomm(dot)com

Tara,
I can only speak for Reform, but the only legitimate seminary for cantors
is Hebrew Union College. The main cantorial campus is in New York, but I
believe some cantorial courses are given in the Los Angeles campus.  (My
wife is an HUC graduate and an ordained reform cantor here in DC.)  I
believe the cantor at the large reform temple in San Diego, Cantor Bard,
is an HUC grad.  You can talk to her about it--mention that Susan
Berkson's husband said hello.

--
Jerry Slaff         jerrysl (at) ios(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->