Re: scales

That minor scale answer is too simplistic. There are modes, motifs and
specific variants (like Adoshem Maloch mode) that need to be considered.
Try looking at Idelsohn's book, "Jewish Music", at articles in the
Encyclopedia Judaica and at books by Joseph Levine, "Psalmody" and
"Synagogue Song In America."

I would also suggest speaking with a knowledgeable cantor or Jewish
musician who can show you some often used motifs that occur frequently in
Jewish songs and prayers.  If you respond to me and tell me your location
I perhaps can recommend some people in your area.

If this is too much, you might want to take a typical song, "Havah
Nagilah" for instance, analyse it's scale and begin to see how one (of
several) "Jewish scales" work.

Cantor Sheldon M. Levin
slevin (at) mciunix(dot)mciu(dot)k12(dot)pa(dot)us

On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Judith Shuval wrote:

> largely in the minor mode....
>

> On Sun, 16 Apr 1995, Wolfgang Feuerlein wrote:
>
> > Hi friends,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me, how in jewish music scales are constructed?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your help,
> >
> > Wolfgang

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->