Re: TORONTO FESTIVAL: ASHKENAZ A Festival of New Yiddish Culture

In article <brosen-0504951850270001 (at) red_dorr(dot)net5a(dot)io(dot)org>,
brosen (at) io(dot)org
(Bruce Rosensweet) wrote:

> PRESS RELEASE (April 3, 1995)
>
> ASHKENAZ: A FESTIVAL OF NEW YIDDISH CULTURE

  [snip ... snip]

> *SOME* of the artists and performances scheduled include (subject to change):
>
> ?  8 world-renowned klezmer bands including BRAVE OLD WORLD, the
> KLEZMATICS, the
>    FLYING BULGAR KLEZMER BAND + 4, SHIRIM

I was one of the promoters for an appearance by the Flying Bulgar Klezmer
Band on the first night of this past Hanukkah.  The venue was a
medium-sized city in California with a fairly small Jewish community.

We sold out the house and the concert was a big success.  The Flying
Bulgars put on a great show playing intelligent, modern klezmer.  The
roots are there, to be sure, but this band also plays klezmer like it is a
living tradition, which it continues to be certainly at least in part
because of their efforts.

If anyone out there with even a passing interest in ethnic music can
possibly go to this event, it would be well worth the effort.  Shirim is
also a very fun and musically talented outfit.

The contact info is reposted below for convenience.

Burton Francis

> For program (May/June) e-mail brosen (at) io(dot)org(dot)
>
> MEDIA  *ONLY*  CONTACT:
>
> Dianne Weinrib, D.W.Communications / Ashkenaz
> tel (416) 861-0286, fax (416) 363-8702
>
> Kelly Lettner, Harbourfront Centre
> tel (416) 973-4430, fax (416) 973-6055.
>
> Please help spread the word by including festival news in appropriate
> newspapers, newsletters, bulletins, and magazines.
>
> --
> Bruce Rosensweet
> Red Door Productions
> brosen (at) io(dot)org