Re: Unusual Pesach Customs / "Echad Mi Yodeah" in Aramaic

In article <3m3okl$fc (at) panix(dot)com>,
Gedaliah Friedenberg <gedaliah (at) panix(dot)com> wrote:

>I know that I have asked this before, but 'tis the season :-)
>
>My family has a minhag (custom) of singing Echad Mi Yodeah in ARAMAIC
>(the language of the Talmud) at the end of the seder.  I have heard of
>others with a similar custom in other languages (Ladino, Yiddish), but
>never in Aramaic.
>
>Anyone ever heard of anyone who sings this song in Aramaic?

YES!

The Finklestein clan of Chicago, of which I'm a survivor, always sang
it in a horribly messed-up mishmash, supposedly based on Aramaic.  It came out:

Khad Manya da?
Khad Anuya da.
---dum, diddliddle dum dum dum dum dum, diddle dum dum dum.
Khad Elohu,
moran v-d-shmaya divre-ah hu.

Umm, let's see if I can remember any more:

Shneh, mishnasu...
Treh (treh!?) Abbasu...
Arba (now that I believe) Ammasu...
Khamsha, Torahsu...

That's as much as I remember.
If anybody can reach Professor Gary Fields at dept. of economics
at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, he probably remembers the rest.

PS, my double-fugue for trombone choir uses a common tune for Khad Gadya
as the second fugual subject...

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->