Re: Info needed on Israeli music

Linda Littleton (LRL (at) psuvm(dot)psu(dot)edu) wrote:
{snip snip}
: - translation of title
: - Is the tune well known? In what context - played on radio, danced
:   to, in a religious context, etc?
: - What's it about?
: - Who wrote it?
: - Around when was it written?
: - Anything else interesting we might tell an audience about it

: Hanaava Babanot
Transl: Oh fairest of maidens  .... a young man is courting his young
love praising her radiance ... it ends "open your arms and embrace me,
hug me more and more. Very well known by older folk since it dates from
the 50s or earlier. Written in a style reminiscent of Song of Songs

: Malach Misulam Yaakov
Sorry dont know this one

: Eretz Yisrael Yafa
Title: The Beauty of the Land of Israel
Transl: A girl with beautiful eyes lives in the land of Israel as does a
wonderful boy Jerusalem. Torah, Megillah, bride and groom, two thousand
mountains carrying the messengers, the pure gold sand of the south, ice
and snow in the north, orchards in bloom ... The beauty of the land of
Israel in blossom .... Our blue white flag is raised and we walk up to
Jerusalem singing "The Nations of Israel Lives". Known by Israelis and
Jews with strong connections to Israel ... also a popular Israeli folk dance

 : V'David Y'Fe Enayim
David with the beautiful eyes is a shepherd among the lilies. Based on
the story of David in the Bible ... very popular folk dance often danced
or sung at Jewish Weddings.

: Niguno Shel Yossi :
Ma Navu :
Zemer Atik

: Dodi Li
My lover is mine and I am his. Very popular love song, from Song of
songs, I believe.

: Erev Shel Shoshanim
Evening of Lilies usually mistranslated as evening of Roses. The most
popular Hebrew Love song of the fifties and sixties many couples walked
down the isle to this song.

: Et Dodim Kali
Dont recognize this one

: Bilvovi
Transl: In my heart (Eastern European Hebrew not Modern Israeli Hebrew,
do not recognize this song either).

: I'm also wondering which of the instruments we play (as listed above)
: are traditionally used in Israeli music.

Although the above songs are primarily Israeli songs, you may in fact be
confusing Klezmer and Israeli music. Israeli music is strongly influenced
my mediterranean themes, and is characterized by the Halil
(recorder/flute) and the Tof Miryam (clay drum). Klezmer music is middle
and Eastern European music, and the instruments were traditionally
trumpet, violin, and the folk insturments of the area (balalaika, etc.)
In recent times Klezmer has been often interpreted with alot of
saxophone. The "freilach" songs of the klesmorim in Europe often had no
words, and when they did they were as often Yiddish as Biblical Hebrew. The
above songs are almost all modern Hebrew.

 Three in particular,
which : are less common instruments -- concertina, bouzouki, and hammered
: dulcimer - seem to my ear to be ideal for Israeli music.  Is there
: a tradition of using these instruments in Israel?
The concertina and bouzouki are often used in Israeli folk music ..
especially songs influenced by proximity to Greece. The misourlou is a
very popular "Israeli" dance ... even danced at Jewish Weddings in the
states ... melody was adopted by a Hassidic sect as well ... but is in
fact Greek. Concertina and Accordion used alot in Isreaeli Folk Fests,
but this is Israeli Folk Music not Klezmer.

: Thanks for any insights you can give.
  Please hold the flames if I goofed on some of the song translations and
descriptions. I am not writing from home so I do not have access to the
songs, am working from my memory ... which is none too good these days. --
     |     Ira P. Weiss                      Washington, DC           |
     | Shelo Yigamer L'Olam,  HaKhol V'HaYam,  Risroosh Shel HaMayim, |
     |_____________ B'Raq HaShamayim,  T'Filat Ha'Adam________________|

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->