Klezmer Music (influences chart)

Having made this chart at the request of a fellow musicologist, I decided
to post it on the list for the perusal of anyone else who would find it
useful.

THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE KLEZMER REPERTORY
(c) 1984, 1994 by Hope Ehn

              Local
Synagogue     Folk
  Modes       Music
  |   \       /   |
  |    \     /    |
  |     \   /     |
  |      \ /      |
  |   Chassidic   |
  |  Compositions |
  |       |       |
  |       |       }
 Traditional Eastern
   European Yiddish
   |  Folk Music
   |       \
   |        \
   |         \
   |  Early Yiddish                      Other Popular
   |  Music Theatre                      Music of the
   | (19th c. Europe)   Ragtime  Jazz  1920s & 1930s
   |           |     \      \     |     /
   |           |      \      \    |    /
   |           |       \      \   |   /
   |           |        \      \  |  /
Traditional   Early      U.S. Yiddish
  Yiddish    Yiddish      Theatre and
   Folk      Theatre       Recording
   Music      Music          Music

This is an ASCII version of the chart printed in "The Klezmer Recorder
Band," a collection of (untexted) arrangements of Klezmer music for four
recorders that I published in 1984. There is also a second (untexted) book
of similar arrangements, "The Lower East Side Recorder Band,"  published
in 1988. Both collections are still in print. For purchasing information,
send inquiries to Von Huene Workshop, <vonhuene (at) world(dot)std(dot)com>.
(Do *not*
send credit-card numbers by E-mail;  messages pass unencrypted through
many computers.)

I am presently working on two more collections of Jewish music arranged
for recorders, with alternate parts for string quartet. "Yom Tov: The
Jewish Holiday Songbook" will contain songs with Hebrew and/or Yiddish
text for the Sabbath, the Festivals, and patriotic holidays. "Sefarad:
The Ladino Song Book" will contain songs from the Ladino repertory, with
Ladino texts. I hope to finish these books before Passover. When they are
ready, I will announce them on this list.

Hope Ehn                      <ehn (at) world(dot)std(dot)com>

Dennis and Hope Ehn are 2 different people sharing one account.
Hope is the author of "On-Line Resources for Classical & Academic Musicians."
Dennis does programming (mostly C++).
PLEASE don't get us confused!                                 :-)
<ehn (at) world(dot)std(dot)com>