Re: Kristalnacht

>One good book that I have found is in Hebrew, published and edited by
>Sergiu Natra.  It is still available in Israel.

What is the name of the book, please, and the publisher?
Ellis Weinberger
eaw94 (at) aber(dot)ac(dot)uk
eweinberger (at) gn(dot)apc(dot)org

Ellis, and whoever is interested.

The name of the book is "Min Hameitsar" (From the narrows) taken from the
words of Psalm 118, in the Halel service.  The subtitle is "Shirim min
HaGuetaot VeHaMachanot" (songs from the Guetoes and Camps).  The
copywright is from the "Ghetto Fighters' House, Israel" in 1987.  The
publishers name transliterated from Hebrew is "Bayit Lochamei haGuetaot
veHotsa-at haKibuts haMe-uchar" (The -stands for an alef).  The editors'
names are Ernst Hurwitz, Gil Aldema and Shlomo Even-Shoshan.

I hope this is enough information, but if you care to read more here is a
brief review of this book.  It contains 44 poems composed to songs by
writers and composers who were active during or right before the
Holocaust.  The melodies are not simple in general, and some are bound to
be considered fit for a recital.   There are 15 of these songs which also
appear with either a choir arrangement or a piano accompaniment.  The
editors also furnish chord symbols above the melody lines.

The poems are offered on the back of the book, and they have life on
their own.   One of the best features of the book is the blurbs
(biographical notes on the composers and their poems and songs which
appear together with every song.

If you cannot find the book in stores in Israel, I believe that
Institutes such as Leo Baeck would have a copy of it in their library.
The JJewish Theological Seminary's library owns a copy and if any of you
ever want to come to NYC and visit the library, I will, by the way,
direct you to this and other interesting books.

Good luck to all.

Hicki.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->