Re: Klezmer on hammer dulcimer

In a previous article, davidbern (at) aol(dot)com (DavidBern) says:

>Anyone know much about klezmer on the hammer dulcimer?  I'd like to
>find anyone who is doing this and see how they tune the instrument.
>I have one that is not chromatic, it has a few major scales, and of
>course the relative minors.  But some of the klezmer modes would need
>a different tuning, no?

If you are not familiar with it, you might want to check out "The Lost
Jewish Music of Transylvania" by the Hungarian ensemble Muzsikas, on
Hannibal CD HNCD 1373.  Some absolutely wonderful small hammer dulcimer
playing. It's not like, say, Polish klezmer stylings, but It's great all
the same.  Beautiful vocals from Marta Sebest'yen as a bonus.

--
Douglas Limburg                         "For the believer, there are no
ae506 (at) freenet(dot)carleton(dot)ca           questions; for the non-believer

Topic No. 110

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->