Review of a new composer of liturgical music - David Pinansky

After lurking for a long time, I think I may finally have something to
contribute to the group.

Last April 15, I attended a Shabbat service at the Northern Virginia
Hebrew Congregation (Reform), Reston, VA.  It was their "Spring Music
Service" and had their choir, under the long-time direction of Carol
Fram, performing most of the liturgy to new music written by a guy named
David Pinansky.  It was quite excellent, both in composition and execution.
The "play list" included the Candle Lighting B'rucha, L'Cha Dodi,
Bar'chu, Sh'ma, May the Words, Happy is the One, The Tree of Life, Exodus
25, a nonliturgical 90s anti-war song called "War Could Come Again", Oseh
Shalom, Y'Hi Shaym (a string of "Amens" suitable for, and taught to the
Congregation), and Ayn Kaylohenu.

Pinansky is a part-time, but long-time composer in his late 30s.  He is
also quite a good tenor, and soloed on a few of the numbers, but that
isn't the topic of this note.  His music is definitely non-traditional,
according to the norms of American usage of cantorial traditions.  There's
a (very) little bit of new age, a taste of show tunes, some very distinct
50s and 60s jazz influences.  The vocals are very complex, and were a
challenge for the amateur choir that performed them (and succeeded, IMHO,
amazingly well, although not without a few glitches).  The melody resists
cliche; the harmonies seemed to work well in a way that Stephen Sondheim
would appreciate.

The net effect was a real spiritual experience.  As I told Ms Fram and Mr
Pinansky, it was the best that a Reform service could be.  (This reveals
my general bias against "performance" services in favor of participatatory
ones, which was why I stopped being a member of that congregation
years ago, and only return for special occasions.)

Mr. Pinansky used to belong to Temple Beth El in San Antonio for whom he
has done much of his work.  If anyone has the opprotunity to hear his
work, take it.  Nothing has been professionally recorded or published to
the best of my knowledge.  (He's also not on the Internet, but I'll be
happy to pass on any messages.)

Mike Leavitt<mleavitt (at) netcom(dot)com>
Reston, Virginia

Topic No. 77

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->