request for information and input

Please feel free to post the following to other lists.

I am at work on a bibliography of synagogue choral music in print.  This
began about a year ago in the great music librarianship course that Jean
Morrow, of the New England Conservatory, teaches for Simmons College.  As
I gather material, I find that I am having trouble pinning down vital
statistics (dates, given names) for some composers.  Also, I worry that I
may have missed composers who should be included.

What follows is a list of the composers currently included in the
bibliography, together with what I know of their personal dates.
After some entries, you will the numbers 1, 2 or 3, indicating that
I am missing some information about the composer, as follows:
     1 -- Need to ascertain the year of this composer's birth.
     2 -- Need to confirm that this composer is still living; if
not, need to ascertain the year of his or her death.  I have omitted
this for composers whom I know -- or think that I know -- to be
still living.
     3 -- Need to ascertain this composer's given name or names.
I have looked for all the missing information in the OCLC authority
files and in as many reference sources as I've been able to get my hands on,
and have come up empty-handed.

In addition, if you know of a composer who should be in the
bibliography but isn't (including any of you talented people who may
be reading this), please let me know!  The more information, the
better, of course.

Please note that at this point, the bibliography is restricted to
liturgical music and settings of Scriptural and Talmudic texts
composed for mixed choir in at least two voices -- that is, no music
for unison, men's, women's or children's choir (this will probably
change in the future), and no folksong arrangements unless their
texts are specifically devotional in content (no "I Had a Little
Dreydel," please).

Please reply directly to me, not to the list, as I will be
unsubscribing in a few days, preparatory to moving.  Until March
30th, send replies to <DanielK987 (at) aol(dot)com>.  Starting April 4th, I can
be reached at any of the following addresses: <bm(dot)ymu (at) rlg(dot)bitnet>
OR
<bm(dot)ymu (at) rlg(dot)stanford(dot)edu> OR <bm(dot)ymu%rlg (at)
forsythe(dot)stanford(dot)edu>.

Thank you all very much!

Rebecca Koblick

                               THE LIST

Adler, Hugo Chaim, 1894-1955

Adler, Samuel Hans. 1928-; 2

Algazi, Leon, 1890-1971

Aloni, Aminadav. 1928-; 2

Alter, Israel, 1892-1977

Altman, Ludwig, 1910-1990

Amram, David, 1930-

Avidom, Menachem, 1908-; 2

Avni, Tzvi, 1927-; 2

Baer, Charles E., 1870-1962

Bar-Am, Benjamin, 1923-; 2

Barash, Morris; 1, 2

Barnett, Steve; 1, 2

Ben-Haim, Paul,1897-1984

Benedict, David, 1910-; 2

Benson, Warren, 1924-; 2

Berger, Jean, 1909-; 2

Berlinski, Herman, 1910-; 2

Binder, Abraham Wolfe, 1895-1966

Birnbaum, Abraham Beer, 1865-1922

Bloch, Ernest, 1880-1959

Braslavsky, Solomon, 1887-; 2

Braun, Yehezkel, 1922-; 2; also, can anyone confirm that the
     English spelling of his given name is in fact Yehezkel and not
     Yehezkiel?

Brenner, Walter, 1906-; 2

Burger, David; 1, 2

Campbell, Bruce Benedict; 1, 2

Chajes, Julius, 1910-; 2

Cohen, Mordechai, 1, 2

Coopersmith, Harry, 1902-1975

Davidson, Charles, 1929-

Davidson, Walter, 1902-; 2

Diament, Abraham; 1, 2

Drechsler, Joseph, 1782-1852

Dunajewsky, A., 1843-1911; 3

Eddleman, David, 1936-

Ephros, Gershon, 1890-1978

Finklestein, Meir; 1, 2

Foss, Lukas, 1922-

Freed, Isadore, 1900-1960

Freelander, Rabbi Daniel; 1

Friedman, Sidney; 1, 2

Fromm, Herbert, 1905-; 2

Gerowitsch, Eliezer, 1844-1913

Gewirtz, Norman, 1, 2

Gideon, Miriam, 1906-; 2

Glantz, Yehudah Leib, 1898-1964

Glick, Srul Irving; 1, 2

Gold, Morton; 1, 2; also, I would like to be certain that this is
     not actually Morton Gould!

Goldman, Maurice, 1933-; 2

Goldstein, David, 1918-; 2

Gottlieb, Jack S., 1930-

Greenberg, Todros, 1893-; 2

Grobani, B.; 1, 2, 3

Halevy, Jacques Frommenthal, 1799-1862

Harlap, Aharon; 1, 2

Helfman, Max, 1901-63

Heller, A.; 1, 2, 3

Higgins Andrea Jill; 1, 2

Hodkinson, Sidney, 1934-; 2

Horvit, Michael Miller, 1932-; 2

Isaacson, Michael Neil, 1946-

Jablonski, Stephan, 1941-; 2

Jacobi, Frederick, 1891-1952

Janowski, Max, 1911-1991; can anyone confirm that he was in fact
     born in 1911, and not in 1912?  Janowski was 79 at the time of
     his death in the spring of 1991; as a member of his choir in
     the '70's, I think that I can remember a birthday celebration
     for him that was held in hot summer weather, but I could be
     mistaken.

Jochsberger, Tzipora H., 1920-; 2

Jospe, Erwin; 1, 2

Kalmanoff, Martin, 1920-; 2

Kessler, Minuetta; 1, 2

Kilimnick, Leib; 1, 2

Kingsley, Gershon Gary, 1925-

Kirschner, Emanuel, 1857-1938

Klepper, Jeff; 1, 2

Kosakoff, Reuven, 1898-; 2

Kouguell, A.; 1, 2, 3

Lavry, Marc, 1903-1967

Levy, Marvin David, 1932-; 2

Lewandowski, Ludwig or Louis; 1821-94

Lipson, Mark; 1, 2

Low, Leo, 1878-1962

Machtenberg, Meyer; 1, 2

Meyerbeer, Giacomo, 1791-1864

Milhaud, Darius, 1892-1974

Myers, Theldon, 1927-; 2

Naumbourg, Samuel, 1815-80

Ne'eman, Yehoshua Leib, 1899-; 2

Nelson, Rachelle; 1, 2

Nowakowsky, David, 1848-1941

Piket, Frederick, 1903-74

Richards, Stephen; 1, 2

Rochberg, George, 1918-

Rosenberg, Emanuel, 1910-; 2

Rosenbluth, Leo, 1904-; 2

Rossi, Salamone, fl. 1587-1628

Rothstein, Arnold, 1923-; 2

Rotenberg, Moshe; 1, 2

Saminski, Lazare, 1882-1959

Sargon, Simon; 1, 2

Schachtel, Rabbi Hyman Judah, 1907-; 2

Schalit, Heinrich, 1886-1976

Schidlowsky, Leon, 1931-; 2

Sharlin, William, 1920-

Sharvit, Uri, 1939-; 2

Shatal, Miriam, 1903-; 2

Silver, Mark, 1892-1965

Sinzheimer, Max; 1, 2

Starer, Robert, 1924-

Stein, Max, 1947-

Steinberg, Ben, 1930-

Sulzer, Salomon, 1804-90

Topel, Joseph; 1, 2

Urstein, Carl, 1905-; 2

Wallach, Joelle, 1946-

Weill, Kurt,1900-50

Weinberg, Jacob, 1883-1956

Weiner, Lazar, 1897-1982

Weintraub, Hirsch, 1811-82

Weisgal, Abba Yosef, 1885-1981; does anyone know the given name of
     A. Chaitman, the editor of this composer's works?

Weisgall, Hugo, 1912-

Wilensky, Moshe, 1910-; 2

Wyner, Yehudi, 1929-

                              THE END