Two Queries from Ireland

(1) Sometime in the early Sixties I found a record album entitled
"Sabbath in the Synagogue - Volume III" in a second-hand bookshop
here in Cork, Ireland. The record is on the Westminster label (XWN
18645) and features Cantor Sholom Katz and a male choir conducted by
Seymour Silbermintz. Although I have no connection with Judaism I
was (and still am) utterly overwhelmed by the music on this record.
If ever I heard prayer that fitted the phrase "storming heaven" this
is surely it. I have long been searching for someone who might
answer some questions about it for me and having just stumbled on
alt.music.jewish I wonder if my quest is at an end?
(a) The record sleeve lists two other records by the same ensemble
(Vols. I & II and a separate recording called "Lest we forget". Does
anyone know whether
any of these are still available.
(b) If anyone out there has heard any of the records in this series
could they comment on the authenticity of the performance. I
subsequently bought a number of other recordings of synagogue chant
but (to my unlearned ear) found them rather lightweight and almost
melodramatic compared to the Sholom Katz record but, for all I know,
may be more authentic.
(c) Would someone be willing to translate the Hebrew titles of the
prayers and tell me a little about their content/context?

(2) Another of my favourite recordings is entitled "Sholosh R'golim
- Chassidic Melodies of the Three Festivals by the Rabbis of
Modzitz" performed by the Modzitzer Choral Ensemble.  My efforts to
obtain more music of this kind have resulted in a number of
"Hassidic Music Festival" records brought back from Israel by
friends. These, however, sound like (rather weak) contemporary pop
music and (again - to my unlearned ear) have nothing in common with
the Modzitzer record. Can anyone reccommend other recordings similar
to the one that I have and point me at a mail order source that
wouldn't baulk at sending stuff to Ireland?

In case anyone is interested, Cork had a small but dynamic and
influential Jewish community in the thirties and forties. However
the community is now all but extinct. I understand that the
synagogue can no longer muster a minyam (if that is the correct
term?) and may soon have to close. Sad.

Thanks in advance for any answers to these queries.
Fergus Lalor, Chemistry Dept., University College, Cork, Ireland.
STCH8002 (at) IRUCCVAX(dot)UCC(dot)IE

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->