Introduction

When joining we were asked to introduce ourselves - so now it's my turn.
I'm Bob Kosovsky, and I'm involved in "secular music" (I often say "normal"
music).  I'm working on my phd at the Graduate Center of the City University
of New York (my dissertation is on Bernard Herrmann), and I also teach
music theory & ear-training at Hunter College and Mannes College.  As if
that weren't enough, I'm also a librarian at the Music Division of the
New York Public Library.

I don't have a general love for Jewish music, just selected aspects.  As I'm
not particularly fond of current popular music, I don't like much of the
current recording scene (i.e. the various groups and soloists who currently
produce recordings).

Occasionally a composer may get me (Lewandowski, Naumbourg, even V. Heifetz
or Sholom Secunda), and I'm interested in historical aspects of Jewish
music (e.g. biblical chant, or 17th-19th century example of printed Jewish
music).  I suppose the best way to describe my relationship to Jewish music
is that it provides a diversion from my true musical interests (music
theory, film music), and is a way to link my frumkeit to my profession, which
I pursue with a passion.

I am a member of the choir of K'hal Adath Jeshurun - better known as
"Breuer's" in Washington Heights, near the tip of Manhattan.

Bob Kosovsky
Graduate Center -- Ph.D. Program in Music(student)/ City University of New York
New York Public Library -- Music Division
bitnet:   kos (at) cunyvms1(dot)bitnet        internet: kos (at)
cunyvms1(dot)gc(dot)cuny(dot)edu
Disclaimer:  My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->