Welcome to the world of jewish music

Welcome to jewish-music.

We've got a lot of territory to discuss--from the latest Israeli synth-pop
(Fortis?) to the best of modern Klez (Klezmatics, for instance).

I've even had it explained to me with all due seriousness that Israeli pop
music--especially the modern stuff--isn't even particularly Jewish, except
insofar as it is world rock, or punk, or funk sung in Hebrew. The real
stuff, I am told, is the golden cantorial music, or the prime of Aharon
Lebedeff or Jan Peerce or even Molly Picon.

Personally, I really dig Lebedeff. I really dig Shalom Chanoch and Yehuda
Poliker and the Ethnix. And I really, really dig the Klezmatics. I can
live without another operatic-style recording of Kol Nidre.

I'm hoping that this will be a comfortable place to discuss what sounds
good or bad; who's playing what and when; new recordings that are hot (or
not) and where to get them.

And if any of you New Yawkahs out there happen into the Knitting Factory
during the soon-to-be festival of new Jewish music (it's under the
auspices of John Zorn, I believe, so this is not going to be like other
Jewish music festivals, I suspect) and happen to tape something, or just
hear something striking, be sure to mention it!

ari davidow
jmusic (at) israel(dot)nysernet(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->