hanashir

[no subject]

I wrote this Chanukah parody (set to the Macarena) and it was well received
so I thought I would share it with all my songleading friends. Feel free to
use it but please attribute it.

I apologize to those of you who receive this multiple times from various
sources.

I'm also working on a Judith parody-hope to have it done in time to use for
the eigth nite!

Enjoy,

Adrian

Hey, Maccabea!
Parody by Adrian A. Durlester

Long, long ago in the town they called Modin
old Mattathias didn't like what he'd been seein'
Pigs on an altar-such an act was so obscene
Hey, Maccabea!

Old Mattathias knew he wasn't all that strong
Sent out his sons for to right this awful wrong
And that's why on Chanukah we all sing this song,
Hey Maccabea!

One son Judah, boy was he a sight to see
Strong as a hammer, and a clever one was he
so they called him by the name of Maccabee,
Hey, Maccabea!

They fought the Syrians to maintain their given right
to worship and pray to their very heart's delight
and with G-d's help they won that valiant fight,
Hey, Maccabea!

Inside the Temple "Oy Vey!" was the only sound
One little cruse of oil was all that they had found
more they couldn't get until aother  week came ?round
Hey, Maccabea!

Let's light it anyway they said with lots of  pride
We know that  G-d has always been on our side
Surely for our sakes the Lord G-d will provide
Hey, Maccabea!

Day one passed, the oil supply showed little wear
Eight days passed and they nary had a care
A great miracle happened there!
Hey, Maccabea!

So each year on Chanukah we light these festive lights
Candles burning  bright, o what a beautiful sight
Lighting up the candles for each one  of all eight nights
Hey, Maccabea!
Adrian A. Durlester durleste (at) plains(dot)nodak(dot)edu
Production Manager, Festival Concert Hall - North Dakota State University,
Fargo
Director of Music & Religious Education, Temple Beth El (UAHC,) Fargo, ND
Work: (701) 231-9564  Cel-Phone: (701) 799-7870
Alternate E-mail:  72507(dot)471 (at) compuserve(dot)com   AdrianD (at)
aol(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->