hanashir

[HANASHIR:15191] Re: Ideas Sprouting for CAJE Discussions and Workshops

Thanks for writing this up Adrian.  I think a Jewish Musicians'
Collective and Clearinghouse are excellent and extremely important ideas
... long overdue ... I would be happy to help in any way I can, put me
on whatever mailing list(s) this entails!

The only point I disagree with, in the proposal described, is the bid to
have "auditions and approvals  [for the collective] to ensure some
quality control."  Who says what is good and what is bad???  And ... who
decides who gets to make that decision???  We all know of stories where
one person absolutely hates a particular CD ... which goes on to sell
many copies, because other people think it is just great.

What if people with high-quality standards might not want to be
associated with a group / advertise on a website / which also included
really poor quality releases?  Well, if someone is Important Enough to
think that way, they are probably successful enough to work on their
own, they don't need a collective.  Anyway, even the poorest quality
release represents a significant investment of time and $, and
_someone's_ heart's desire.  And ... people improve, they _want_ to
improve.  If you say, "This CD is no good, we won't sell it, come back
when you are Good Enough" ... you discourage rather than encourage
fledging artists.

Perhaps the collective could offer a review service, whereby experienced
artists preview a CD before publication, and give direction and advice
to the artist about the work-in-process.  This would help maintain
quality standards, and would surely be more encouraging and constructive
than waiting until poor quality work has been produced, and then
rejecting it!!!

In the end, I say:  tastes differ.  Let the audiences decide.

Thanks again to Judy for organising the pre-conference where all these
ideas gestated, and to Adrian for opening the discussion on this list.

- Ros

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->