hanashir

[HANASHIR:11235] Re: Interfaith Music Festival

Kol Haneshamah T'halleyah, Halleluyah
(as song at Kol Haneshemah in Israel)

And

Ju-bilate Deo, Ju-bilate Deo, Halleluyah
(is the same melody, and in my understanding predates the Hebrew version)

However, these two lovely sets of words have similar meanings. They can be
sung beautifully in an interfaith round with up to 6 parts.

I made a little sample recording of the rounds.  It can be found at
http://www.clevercontentsoftware.com/music/

I was introduced to Jubilate Deo by Christopher Moore, who founded the
Chicago Children's Choir (CCC) in 1956.  The CCC has taught children of
every religion, ethnicity and race to sing together and our theme was
always songs from all over the world.  Jubilate Deo, Shalom
Chaverim,  Sakura (Japan) are just a brief sample of the many and varied
songs we sang as a choir.

I could rant about the choir for hours, but I just truly love that the
melody I learned in Latin as a child is now in Hebrew.... I've speculated
that the Hebrew version was developed when an Israeli Choir visited the CCC
about 10 years ago... but I'm not sure if that is the origin or not.

Laura Ferguson
allenderL (at) acm(dot)org

>The organizing committee has discovered that the origin of the music sung
>in today s Christian worship services came from what they described to me
>as the ancient Hebrew chanting of the cantors . (They specifically
>mentioned the amen s and the halleluyah s.)
>

>In light of this research, they have asked me to open the program by
>chanting one of our ancient prayers. My first thought was Bar chu since it
>is the call to worship, my second thought was V ahavta since the English
>translation is read in the worship services of faiths other than our own&.
>

>Any other ideas or suggestions are very welcome. And can someone help me
>out in finding a Bar chu that fits the bill?
>

>Ricki Baird, Soloist and Songleader
>
>Congregation Beth David
>
>San Luis Obispo, CA

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->