hanashir

[HANASHIR:11136] Re: Q about kids vs. kavanah

At 11:59 AM 3/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>For example, something like "I'm sorry to interrupt your family worship
>experience, but I'm having a hard time following the service because I
>can't hear over your children.  Would you mind taking them to the back/out
>of the room for a few minutes?" might be effective.

I think this is a really bad idea.  I would guess that if you took this
approach this family and several others would leave your synagogue forever,
probably with very bad feelings.  It is possible (and not unlikely) that an
action like this would turn several of these kids away from Judaism forever.

Bottom line:  It is better to speak to someone privately about their
misdeeds.

An alternative approach:
Take some time with this family to learn together about being in
services.  Talk to the parents and the kids.  Listen to them too.  Their
inattention is probably just misdirected energy.  Give the kids a job to do
at services, so they feel responsible.

Perhaps, you can catch them before the problem re-occurs, and just before
the next service, give each child a job to do just before or during
services.  Ask the younger ones to keep track of how many people
attend.  Ask the family as a whole to light candles.   Ask them to pass out
prayer books or songsheets, or walk around with the Torah during the
service.  If they can sing, include them in leading a song.  Be creative,
this is an opportunity to engage them in the service, and ultimately, in
Judaism.  As appropriate, include other kids from the congregation.

Services with kids can be successful, if  1) kids know their role, 2) the
rules are well established, but comfortable 3) kids start coming when they
are very young.  If every kid started coming to services before they could
walk or talk, then you wouldn't have to teach them how to behave later --
they would have been taught incrementally without recrimination.

Also, it should be noted, lots of grade school kids don't know what it
means to pray. They also don't know "how" to pray and they often feel
squeamish about it.  "Finding your comfort zone with prayer", is a subject
that could be taught to a whole school.  Even a 4 year old can understand a
little bit about prayer.

When I taught 4th grade Sunday School, my kids did a scavenger hunt every
year where they had to find architectural elements within our sanctuary (a
beautiful structure).  However, the goal of the hunt, pedagogically, was
not to find the elements, but to help them feel comfortable in the
sanctuary, so that when they attended High Holiday services with their
families they would feel welcome.  I was pleased to see lots of my kids a
HH services for many years to come.

Bottom line, comfort and knowledge will help bring everyone (even these
kids) towards the kavanah you seek.