  From: owner-hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org [mailto:owner-hanashir (at)
shamash(dot)org]On
Behalf Of H & R Shubert
  Sent: Wednesday, 29 August 2001 3:27 p.m.
  To: Hanashir
  Subject: [HANASHIR:9656] Adonai Ro-i

  At my rabbi's request, I have been singing the Janowski Adonai Ro-i at
funerals and Yizkor.  I had some concerns about singing it acapella, since
there is no accompaniment at funerals, but was surprised at how well it
works with no instrumentation.  I especially like that it is in Hebrew with
only  one English line: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want."  This
little bit of the vernacular is like an anchor for those who do not follow
Hebrew well.

  Gerald Cohen's Adonai Ro-i is lush and beautiful and I have chosen this
melody for Yizkor at Yom Kippur this year.  I can't say which I prefer since
they are both so beautiful.

  Rachelle

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->