hanashir

[HANASHIR:9647] Re: HANASHIR digest 1320

In a message dated 8/28/01 2:58:40 AM, hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org writes:

<< << We are looking for a good 23rd Psalm in Hebrew or English or both >>

Forgive me, but is there a better 23rd Psalm than one I've been reading?
Please advise. >>

I have been learning some psalms written by Dvorak. Although I‘m not crazy
about all the translations in this series called “Biblical Songs”, I did
like some of the language used in the 23rd psalm. I do not know who
translated it from the Czech, but it goes like this:

<<God is my shepherd, I want for nothing. My rest is in the pleasant meadows.
He leadeth me where quiet waters flow. My fainting soul doth he restore and
guideth me in the ways of peace, to glorify His name. And though in death’s
dark valley, my steps must wander, my spirit shall not fear, for Thou art by
me still. Thy rod and staff are with me and they shall comfort me.>>

I compared this to the exact word for word translation in the interlinear
Schottenstein edition of the Book of Psalms which I also liked:

<<Hashem is my shepherd, I shall not lack. In lush meadows He lays me down;
beside tranquil waters He leads me. My soul He restores. He leads me on paths
of righteiousness for the sake of His Name. Even though I walk in the valley
overshadowed by death, I will not fear evil, for You are with me. Your rod
and Your staff they comfort me. You prepare befofe me a table in view of my
tormentors. You anointed with oil my head, my cup overflows. May only
goodness and kindness pursue me all the days of my life, and I shall swell in
the House of Hashem for the length of days.>>

Hope this helps. Ln