hanashir

[HANASHIR:9629] Special Request: Alice Weinstein Scholarship Fund

Dear Music Friends,

On August 6, 2001, our music community lost a dear friend, Alice Weinstein.
Alice was not a performer, but a wonderful educator and an advocate of the
power of music.  She loved music and it was in her life each and every day --
especially Jewish music.

Many of us knew Alice through our association with CAJE.  Each summer, there
was Alice at our workshops, at our performances, encouraging us, singing along
and supporting us to keep sharing our music.  Many of us visited her community
of Cleveland, Ohio and brought our music to her students.  And saw first hand
how much Alice loved being a teacher.

Alice was too ill with cancer to attend CAJE this summer and so on Opening
Night, Sam Glaser led us all in a song to Alice.  At the conclusion of the
song, it was announced that someone had called Alice on their cell phone and
she was listening.  We all shouted "We love you, Alice" toward the phone.  She
heard us.  And the next day, Alice passed away.  She was with her CAJE
community and she could let go now.

CAJE will never be the same to many of us in the music community without Alice
Weinstein.  And so, we have set up a CAJE Music Scholarship in her memory.
Each year, this scholarship will be used to help an up and coming new talent
attend and perform/present at CAJE.

We ask you to remember this wonderful lady and all she did to promote Jewish
music by making a tax-deductible donation to CAJE in her memory.  The suggested
minimum donation is $18, which, spelled out in Hebrew, stands for "chai," or
even $36, or "double chai," since Alice's life filled the lives of so many
others with love and joy and music.... Please designate that the money is to go
to the Alice Weinstein Scholarship Fund and send it to CAJE, 261 W. 35th St.,
Floor 12A, New York, NY 10001.

With much appreciation,

-Karen Daniel, CAJE Music Network Chair/Singer-songwriter
-Judy Ginsburgh, Professional Singer/Recording Artist/Educator, Conference
Chair - CAJE 23
-Sam Glaser, Professional Singer/Recording Artist, CAJE performer/presenter