hanashir

[HANASHIR:9586] Mah Gadlu

Dear all,
     To add to Jeff Klepper's history - I was at NFTY Torah Corps in 1970 at
Kutz when Dov Taylor was still directing it, and Rabbi (student rabbi then)
Jerry Brieger was the songleader.  About mid-summer,  Jerry taught the Torah
Corps choir (in which I sang as a bari-tenor) a somewhat fast-but-not-rowdy
version of Mah Gadlu.  We sang it at an all-camp Kabbalat Shabbat service,
and I think that moment changed the American Jewish music scene. There were
no "ba-da-da-da-da-das" in the song at the time!!!!  I just remember loving
the beat most, and the melody too.  I could still play it right now just as
we sang it for what I think was its "premiere performance."   I also remember
working with Jerry Brieger and Michael Isaacson on a 2 part Isaacson Shalom
Alaychem that has a melody and countermelody.  I think I have seen it in
music books.  I don't think any of the rest of the music in that first NFTY
service was completed then.  But I also remember late one August night, just
before the end of Torah Corps, when Michael Isaacson sat down at the piano
and was playing a slower version of Mah Gadlu that was at the same tempo as
the first NFTY album recording.  So I realized, when I heard the album for
the first time, that the softer version was probably preferred by the
composer.
      I didn't realize until later that Debbie Friedman was one of the Kutz
songleaders that summer (we figured that out that we were both there in 1970
when she visited Univ of Illinois in 1975).  I do remember the MoVFTY
songleader coming back to MoVFTY Institute 1971 (held at beautiful Camp
Shwayder in Colorado near Mt. Evans) from Kutz with this new melody for "Thou
Shalt Love."  As we sang "Thou Shalt Love" at a Shabbat morning service at
the 2001 CAJE pre-conference almost two weeks ago (in Ft. Collins, CO), I
flashed back to the first time l had learned it - in Colorado - 30 years ago.

      And the rest, as they say, is history - as I and many other people
looked forward to the release of those new Debbie Friedman and NFTY albums in
the years that followed.
      It is great to see the talent that has lasted all of these last 35
years that has created new Jewish music, and the talent that is new and
up-and-coming.  Jeff, thanks for your part - and to everyone else on the list
who has been a part of creating and teaching the music, also to you, TODAH
RABBAH!
     And - Shabbat Shalom!
L'shalom,
Rabbi Larry Karol