hanashir

[HANASHIR:5246] Re:Hallelu

The song Hallelu on the CD from Bnai Jeshrun gives mechanical rights credit
to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. I have heard Nusrat's version on his CD. Same
melody very similar. POI< I believe "Ali Khan" is like the last name Smith in
our English culture. There are many great musicians with the name "Ali
Khan"....Ali Akbar Khan, the Ali Khan Sufi Band just to name a few.

I am a bit confused about this copyright issue here. ARe we saying that in
order to teach a song to a group of our children we have to contact BMI and
ASCAP? I would appreciate clarification. I would say as a teacher, if we make
it tooooo difficult teach your music, we may choose to create our own or
refer back to niggunim or other songs in the common domain.  As an artist, I
am totally behind being supported($) and recognized for my accomplishments. I
also want my music heard and sung. If the kids come home singing my songs,
then maybe the parents will go to local Judaica shop and buy my CD.  A fine
balance to walk.
Shalom uvracha
Yehudit STeinberg