Veretski Pass sher, to answer sher performance question

Hi Roger,

Veretski Pass is in Germany now with Steve who, yes will dance to the Vinnitser
sher. The form was done to accomodate many of the sher type dances that can be
done to this tempo and square form (meaning 8 bar phrases in succession). This
sher is a compilation of many tunes (some from field recordings) that we
arranged in this form. It was done for musical reasons, with an eye on the fact
that we want it to be danceable, but not so specific. Basically, we knew it
could be as repetitious as necessary to accomodate longer or shorter shers, and
many times we cut some of the repeats, or add some.

In this CD, many of the tunes are actually compilations of sections of
selections that we felt musically go well together. Such is the Kolomeyke, the
Kozak, Bullets at the Wedding (waltz), and is some cases we composed
sections(like in the Raca in the viola suite where I wrote one of the sections
as well as in the whole Ukranian suite). This is why most of this material is
"new". Some is a remix of old. The old, "old dog in a new tux" trick.

Now off to see if Air France has found Josh's tsimbl, and my suitcase.

Cookie on the western front