Rhythm

     I found the "Rap wars" interesting if prickly. A few years ago when a
local independent radio station was playing a lot of late night Rap with
"offensive" lyrics, I started listening to it when I happened to be in the
car late, with the purpose of being able to better criticize it. As in
quote the "offensive" lyrics correctly etc. (I work in a college
environment where violence against women and glorification of "unhealthy
lifestyles" is always of great concern). But...you guessed...I found myself
accidentally enjoying some of it, even 'though I certainly found much to
fault. Rhythmic pulse with subtle variations is a powerful thing, witness
the crowds at our downtown African Drumming gatherings. (Led by highly
skilled players).
And violent  or "offensive" lyrics can either be pandering and inflammatory
OR powerful documentation or social commentary, wake-up call etc.
     But moving on, Robert brings us back to a more directly
"musicological" relation to our main topic. That is, the relative
"importance" of Rhythm, melody, harmony, and I would add lyric, to various
"ethnic" or regional musics.
I think those of us who try to play multiple styles. as well as those
playing mostly one, really recognize after a while how crucial rhythmic
subtlety is to EVERY tradition, even if it superficially emphasizes melody.
i.e. it ain't the ornamental cleverness that differentiates a great native
or native influenced Irish fiddler from a wanna-be... it's the rhythmic
drive and nuance (mostly).  I HAVE heard And Statman on his Video and
others talk about melody as king in Klezmer and I certainly agree with the
fundamental importance of playing a melody with TLC and respect before
worrying too much about ornaments and
easy-to-identify. hard-to-do-well style quirks. But my question is what and
who best exemplify the rhythmic subtlety in Klezmer?
Not that it's likely to be one thing. And I'm not really talking about the
patterns, as the feel. By definition this stuff is hard to write about,
best heard (re the never ending "what is swing" in Jazz) but thoughts and
recommendations appreciated.
I promise I won't "sample" any of the favorite tracks/artists!
Colin