  From: Lori M Simon
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:51 AM
  Subject: Re: der rebe elimelech

  Hi Batya,

  There was a discussion about this a number of years ago on the list.  Perhaps
you could search the archives?  I think it was spelled differently in the
subject heading.

  Meanwhile, it was written by Moyshe Nadir (pseudonym) in 1920-something.
Possible relationship to Old King Cole.  There was a real Elimeylekh.

  Klezmatics do a wonderful rendering of "Makht oyf!", a happy, drinking
sounding song for purim.  Is it recorded?  There are many wonderful purim
songs.  I have two by Gelbart on my latest album, "Urim-burim" and "A gut
yontef, yidn".  Text for both by J. Kaminsky.  Then there's the cute "Hop,
mayne homentashen" by Pirozhnikov.  Anyone know whether the music is by him,
also?  I could go on for days.

  Lorele

  On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:59:26 +0200 "Batya" <batya_l (at) macam(dot)ac(dot)il>