Bar Mitzvah and Confirmation

Hi everyone,

Roger wrote:

>Of course, you don't have to want to have a bar mitzvah party to be Jewish.

>Roger, who has been at any number of Catholic confirmation parties

I was thinking the very same thing! Not only Catholic youngsters, but Lutheran
as well, at least in Sweden, go through the religious "confirmation" rite when
they are around 13. And despite the fact that Sweden is a very secularized
country and very few people actually practice religion, many parents still send
their children to church confirmation groups and camps to get a basic Christian
education-and a nice party afterwards, though I sincerely doubt that any family
would spend the mindboggling sums mentioned in the article! In the older days
confirmation did serve as a kind of "passage/coming of age" rite-children, at
least working-class children were considered adults after confirmation and were
expected to start working and contribute to the family economy. Many youngsters
left their families at around that time, to work as domestics (the girls) or
farm hands, factory workers etc.

Knowing this,  it seemed odd to me that Christian families would have to
imitate the bar mitzvah when there actually is a similar religious tradition in
many Christian denominations-but then again, I'm not that familiar with
American religious life-it may be that Methodists don't practice confirmation.

Sorry about the off-topic...

Eva

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->