From: "Seth Rogovoy" <seth(dot)rogovoy (at) verizon(dot)net>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 4:35 PM
Subject: Oi Va Voi in NY Times's Top 10

I was away the last week or so in England at the Limmud conference (which,
by the way, is a spectacular conference for overall Jewish learning of every
stripe, including religion, culture, philosophy, politics, and yes, Jewish
music -- for more info visit www.limmud.org, although the website really
doesn't do justice to the program), so maybe this was already discussed on
the list, BUT if not...

Did anyone notice that one of the New York Times's pop music critics
included the latest Oi Va Voi CD in his year-end TOP 10 list of overall
non-classical music CDs?

Now, Oi Va Voi's latest CD isn't entirely Jewish or traditional, but it
certainly draws upon some Jewish music. It's really quite something of  a
coup for a band at least nominally known as a Jewish music band to get an
honor like this.

P.S. for what it's worth, I like Oi Va Voi's CD a lot, not so much as Jewish
music, but just as music, period. I think I already reviewed it in the
Berkshire Eagle a few weeks ago, but I get confused as to where my reviews
appear (I've got a survey of new Jewish music CDs forthcoming, probably
later this month, in The Forward).

Seth Rogovoy
www.rogovoy.com
author of "The Essential Klezmer: A Music Lover's Guide to Jewish Roots and
Soul"
"An informative and entertaining guide..Seth Rogovoy lucidly explains what's
culturally significant about klezmer; better yet, he captures the music's
fun." - jazz critic Francis Davis, author of "Bebop And Nothingness" and
"The History Of The Blues"