RE: Charlie "Yard Bird" Parker the Klezmer?

Thanks for the confirmation! So now we have Chanukah songs from Woody
Guthrie (now playing on A Prairie Home Companion) AND be bop klezmorim!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Klezcorner (at)
aol(dot)com
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 6:09 PM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Re: Charlie "Yard Bird" Parker the Klezmer?

I passed on the original message to one of my "music mavens" and this is his
reply...interesting, no.....?
Simon

Not only did Charlie Parker play a few Jewish affairs with Red Rodney, but
so did Monk.

<< I have an interesting question (to me anyway). I was watching the Clint

Eastwood film "Bird" with my son today. About 40 minutes into it there is a

sequence where Bird takes a gig as a sideman with Red Rodney (Chudnick) for

a "Society Gig". Next scene sees Forest Whittaker as Bird, wearing white

yarmulke, playing what the movie's producer's determined was a Klezmer tune,

at what is presented as a Chasidic wedding.

My question is, was this artistic licence to highlight that Bird played and

toured with Red Rodney, or did Charlie Parker actually play a Klezmer gig?

Does anybody on this list know?>>