food at Tonic

Hey all,

sorry for being slow at keeping up my part of this thread.  and sorry to
the bands for not being as explicit as I will be right now.

For the last few months there has been no food at Tonic.  This is because
both food/bar people quit.  They did not hire a replacement because in
general they were losing money on the food when the often small audiences
(also, audiences were not tipping the bar people well, which did not help
to keep them around).  I suggested that bands could buy and serve bagels to
their audiences - as I have done at a few recent shows.  This has worked to
some degree - although I don't think the voluntary "pay for your bagel"
system has ever recouped the cost of bagels for the band.

I wholly agree that food is a necessary part of a brunch.  However, profit
is also a necessary part of a business.  big audiences = incentive for
tonic to hire a new person to sell food .  small audiences = no food, no
incentive
Tonic has never done a lot to advertise the brunches, except for getting
the listings out into papers (the same as with other shows).  The bulk of
the burden at bringing audiences has, for better or for worse, generally
fallen on the bands.  young out of town college bands have often drawn
better crowds than professional local bands because they email all their
friends and family in the city and its novelty for them to play in a
club... they create some buzz for themselves.

I've been trying to get Tonic to tell me exactly how many people need to
come for the brunch (with food) to make it profitable for the club (I think
its somewhere around 30-40).  Then I was thinking of asking bands, if they
want food to be served, to guarantee that number of people will show.  If
the audience is smaller, the band will not get a cut of the door.  The
bands can also opt for no food, and a smaller minimum before they see a
door cut (maybe 15), or no minimum at all.  Right now bands get a cut (60%)
no matter what, even if only 3 people show up.  I'm not sure if Tonic will
go for this, but does it sound fair?

Thank you for understanding that
a) I'm new at this.
b) I've never actually met any of the folks at Tonic responsible for all
this although David and I keep trying to set up meetings with them.  we
have exchanged only brief emails and phone calls.
c) I love Tonic, I love going, I love playing there, and I want to keep
this thing alive.
d) The Tonic Klezmer Brunch is a labor of love for all parties involved
(including Tonic - both club and staff) as no one really makes money
commensurate with the amount of time they put in.

thanks,
jeff

Jeff Perlman
917-287-7702
jeffrey(dot)perlman (at) aya(dot)yale(dot)edu