Re: Review of new Jewish rock stars book

I have this book on my piano, but have yet to get into it deeply.  Trusting
Seth as I do, I can now save myself the trouble.  In its defense, I got the
impression that artists seemed to be excluded on musical grounds if they were
more oriented towards 'folk' or 'singer-songwriter' genres than 'rock,'
although my own definitions (the ones I use in my teaching) are more generous
and general.

I would suggest that Carol Kaye is not such an obscure artist if one follows
studio players (and, as a player who would endanger lives by exposing them to
my singing, I do) and that her adult conversion to Judaism is not grounds for
any kind of exclusion.  We need all the good folks we can get and, I for one,
welcome converts such as my wife, who has endowed the people Israel with
remarkable percussion skills.  I would also note that assimilation is, like it
or not, a part of Jewish history that's got to be told, although it doesn't
seem as if this book does that acceptably, either.

These are small points.  Thanks, Seth.  You rock, as always.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music and Jewish Studies