writing for Jewish newspapers

This is a bit off music but related. I have submitted articles to major
Jewish newspapers, first asking if they were interested. After a positive
response of interest, I send the story and can't get a response of a
rejection. With today's ability to give automatic responses, it is simple
to press a button stating, "we are sorry, we cannot use your article." The
much abused (rightly) NYT  has such a response for letters to the editor. I
wonder if others have had this problem. I am  talking about simple
courtesy, not about any other obligation. Cyril Robinson