RE: What IsJewish Music?

> Those who want to answer this perennial question have often cited a
> statement by Curt Sachs at a World Congress of Jewish Music, from East
> to West (Sorbonne 1957): "Music made by Jews, for Jews, about Jews."

I didn't quite understand how Cyril Robinson related the David Hadju
article/quotation
to Curt Sachs's attempt at a definition of Jewish music; but in any case and
fwiw, I
believe Cyril unintentionally misquoted Sachs a bit.  As I've always understood
it,
Sachs (who had, I believe, previously averred that one could not define Jewish
music!)
essayed (at the First International Congress of Jewish Music that Jewish music
was

"that music which is made by Jews, for Jews, *as* Jews."

"As" Jews--i.e., presumably (?--I don't have the entire relevant discourse at
hand),
music composed for Jews by Jews consciously acting/composing as Jews

or (the way I was taught to understand it)

music composed by Jews for Jews to "use"/hear/integrate into their lives (?) as
Jews.

I'm not sure, actually, if the "as" part adds anything that isn't already
contained in the
"for" part:  E.g., Mendelssohn didn't compose his Violin Concerto, I assume,
either
(particularly, let alone exclusively) *for* Jews, *or* for his Jewish listeners
to use in a
Jewish context or setting or ceremony.

Some of Ernest Bloch's music was very much composed by him as a Jew, consciously
expressing in his music what he experienced as his Jewish musical/spiritual
soul or
spirit.  But he didn't compose some of that music (e.g., I assume, the Israel
Symphony)
particularly for Jews--it was, rather, what we would call a mainstream
composition--nor was
it intended, I assume, that Jews integrate this piece into their Jewish
religious or communal
or life-cycle lives.  Whereas his Sacred Service was, I assume, more
specifically intended
for a Jewish audience, and it was intended (at least, Bloch, we can assume,
hoped) that
Jews would use it in a Jewish way:  They would worship to it.  So the "for
Jews" and "as
Jews" seem--at least as I'm writing this; I'm willing to be persuaded
otherwise--to go together.

Similar statements could presumably be made, e.g., about contemporary
niggunim--i.e., folk
music--for prayer (like those on OPEN THE GATES!), or about songs or other
compositions
intended for Jewish use at various life-cycle occasions.

Whereas, I think one could say, when music is intended for a more
general/mainstream
audience, it goes along with that that it is not intended for use in a
specifically Jewish
way:  Paul Simon's songs, say, or Leonard Cohen's--even Leonard Cohen's songs
with
specifically Jewish references; or, perhaps (?), some of the "fusion
klezmer/jazz" compositions
by some of the bands associated with the Knitting Factory, Tzaddik, etc.

None of this, surely, is black-and-white (and _that's_ assuming it's making
sense at all):
Pharoah's Daughters, say, or the Klezmer Mountain Boys, intends to play, often
or sometimes,
for Jewish audiences--and expects, or hopes, that Jews will buy their CDs (as I
do!); but they
don't play for, or market their CDs to, *only* Jewish audiences (as I don't!).
Will Jews listen/dance
to their music "in a Jewish way"--i.e., "as Jews"?  What would that mean?

FWIW ...

Robert Cohen

cdbaby.com/openthegates