Re: Looking for Al Jolson song

Hi -

You can view the sheet music for this song in the Lester Levy Sheet Music
Collection at Johns Hopkins. The search page is:

http://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/advancedsearch.html

This is a great source for old American popular music. To make it on
topic, I will note that it has a number of Jewish/Yiddish pieces "race
tunes", such as:

"At the Yiddish Cabaret"
"The Yiddisha Professor"
"Jake, Jake, the Yiddish Ball Player"
"Yonkle (sic), the Cow-Boy Jew"

Note that the actual sheet music images are available only for pieces from
before 1923 and in the public domain.

Enjoy!

HBG

P.S. And since I don't post very often, I will take the opportunity to
wish everyone a very good and sweet New Year!

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 lucy_fisher (at) timemagazine(dot)com wrote:

> Can anyone identify a "song sung by Al Jolson in 1919 called 'I gave her
> that'"? And have any idea where a person could get the sheet music? My niece
> is playing a gig and it's one of the items requested. (The gig is a life
> celebration of a music hall performer.)
>
> Lucy Fisher

> This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
> legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
> of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
> otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
> viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
> reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
> notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
> copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
> herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
> in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
> Thank you.
>
> ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->