Re: One klezmer's experience (replying to Joshua)

it's the truth in advertising principle I was referring to, not disparaging
any flavor of any Jewish religious practice... the means of misrepresentation
to try to attract unsuspecting people to this event was objectionable, and I
was stuck with a role in it because these people used misleading rhetoric to
involve my music-making.  this happened to have been one flavor of Judaism,
that
was not the point of the story, and I tried to use discretion by not getting
into the particular politics advocated there which were objectionable to me in
the wording of the posting.

yes -- there's a difference btw this and messianic proselytization; noone's
disputing that (you'll notice my posting started with "on the other hand.") the
tactics are similar though, and if you're a working musician it's a position
you want to be wary of. you want to be  able to make informed decisions about
where your energy is directed, and if true information is knowingly withheld
you can't do that. I'm relating this story for what it is, and I know of other
NY bands who have also unknowingly gotten booked to perform for groups they
never would have agreed to due to political beliefs, not religious practice per
so, due to similarly hidden affiliations.

- e v e  s i c u l a r  -
drummer/bandleader
ISLE OF KLEZBOS &
METROPOLITAN KLEZMER