Re: string orchestra vibrato

In a message dated 9/2/2003 10:32:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
SamWeiss (at) bellatlantic(dot)net writes:

> Thanks for that summation of string vibrato protocol.  As a trumpet player
> in a community concert wind band, I'm always aware of the need to
> practically eliminate my vibrato, even for the occasional solo -- unless
> for a special effect, which tends to prove the rule.  But strings seem to
> be immune from that restriction.  Any thoughts from players of other
> orchestral instruments?

I'm not an orchestral player, but I am a klezmer bandleader, and I sometimes
suggest to trumpet players who come to klezmer from a legit background that
they pretend they are mariachis--that is, playing with a strident tone and a
huge vibrato!
This is a shorthand way of saying that some ethnic styles of trumpet playing
depend upon these sorts of features to convey emotion and energize the music.

That's not what you were asking, but it's what it made me think of!
Lori @ MAX

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->