Re: "you didn't sing any Ladino songs!"

>Anyway, the kids had a good time, I had a good time with them, they
>asked fabulous, often challenging questions, I could tell they weren't
>bored because they didn't punctuate my presentation with velcro noises
>from their running shoes (my sure-fire boredom index in school
>audiences) - and then afterwards, the Sepahrdic teacher, in his late 30s
>or so, came up to me and said "that was great! But you didn't sing a
>single Ladino song!"

It fascinates me the way people associate things. It sounds like the teacher
isn't familiar with Ladino and hence associates only those songs that are
familiar and have been associated already with "Ladino" as being Ladino songs.
But, a Sephardic teacher =is= presumably familiar with Ladino....

I dunno.

Fascinating.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/