Re: [JLM] More Comments from Rabbi Katz (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:58:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Daniel Katz <danskatz (at) yahoo(dot)com>
To: st (at) nleycohen(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk, I. Oppenheim
<i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl>,
     Paul Buch <pbuch (at) earthlink(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Re: [JLM] More Comments from Rabbi Katz

You are referring below to the non-metrical chant for Akdamut.
In addition, there are several meteral melodies, which you'll
find in Baer and other sources. For more on these, see my
article: “From Mount Sinai to the Year 6000: A Study of the
Interaction of Oral Tradition and Written Sources in the
Transmission of an Ashkenazi Liturgical Chant (Akdamut),”
Rivista Internazionale di Musica Sacra, 20/1 (1999), pp.175-206
(corrected version: supplement to 20/2 (2000)

Daniel Katz

--- st (at) nleycohen(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk wrote:
> I'm surprised that he quotes more than one melody for Akdamut
> since it is purely of Ashkenazi origin and here in England we
> use the same motif for the Kiddush on chaggim [ "asher bochar
> bonu mikol om" ] and for calling up the Chatanim on Simchat
> Tora.
>
> Stanley Cohen
> London

=====

Rabbiner Dr. Daniel Katz
Jüdische Gemeinde Duisburg-Mülheim-Oberhausen
Springwall 16
D-47051 Duisburg, Germany

Fax +49 203 298 1264
Tel. +49 203 298 3078                                             katz (at)
jugedu(dot)de