Related to but not identical with Alexander technique

I had a book about the Alexander technique, but never managed to plow all
the way through it.  Too much biography.  Anyway, I have a technique I use
with amateur choirs, including children, to make them more aware of their
diaphragm, and it segues into a lesson in breath support.  I say, "I will
count to 10.  While I'm counting, you slowly inhale.  Then I'll count to 10
again, and you slowly exhale."  I repeat this several times, gradually
slowing down as I go.  It's also helpful in getting them to stop talking to
each other.  And when I learned (or mislearned) this exercise, I understood
it to be derived from Yoga.  Similarly, to be done while sitting down and
not while driving the car.

For the longest t'kiya g'dola I would recommend Rabbi Mark Fasman of
Congregation Shaare Zedek in St. Louis.  A former college professor of the
trumpet, he draws a resonant, focused tone from the shofar; and he's an
absolute master of a technique called "circular breathing."  When I've
heard avant-garde bass clarinet players use circular breathing there's been
a very distracting snorting noise, but the only clue that Rabbi Fasman's
using this technique is movement of his cheeks.  Basically, while blowing
the instrument, some air is contained in the mouth.  When the player wants
to take a breath, he (so far the musicians I've seen use this have been all
male) blows out the air in his mouth while inhaling through his nose, and
keeps the tone going all the while.  So Rabbi Fasman waits for the
murmuring of awe to stop, when it's obvious he isn't simply holding the
note an extra-long time, and cuts off at about sixty seconds.  Presumably
he could continue as long as he wants.  Alas, as far as I know, not usable
by singers.

Fred Blumenthal
xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com