Klezmer trumpet

The question of whether or how a trumpet would fit into a klezmer group
brings up questions of authentic style and history in klezmer playing.  My
understanding has always been that this was a music of poverty, and that
those instruments were included that were available, or could be recruited
from the neighbors (Gypsies, Slavs et al.)  In vivid contrast with
"classical" European music, in which the instrumentation of a string
quartet is non-negotiable, klezmer groups contained whatever was available
and someone could play.  I, too, immediately think of violin and clarinet
as being the backbones of klezmer, but that's a narrower view of klezmer.
Maybe it isn't the perfect word to say we've been "spoiled" by large
ensembles with piano and highly-trained, polished performers, but
sometimes performances with an occasional sour note and that seem always
at risk of breaking down have their own anxious charm, intensity and
authenticity.  On the other hand, this is also clearly a music that
evolved from centuries ago to the jazz-influenced music of Mickey Katz,
Dave Tarras et al.  And the people who are fusing other styles into
21st-century klezmer probably don't disdain the trumpet, or synthesizer
either, for that matter.

Fred Blumenthal
xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->