Re: "Israeli" Dance

At 09:34 PM 5/7/2003 -0700, you wrote:

> What is "Israeli dancing", anyway, but re-packaged Yiddish dancing?

No, I don't think that many people would refer to it that way, but I'll let
people who spend more time dancing than I speak to details. Consider, however,
that Israeli dancing is a recent creation, not, as you correctly not, a folk
tradition.

And the dance traditions have very different histories in this country. One is
associated with the creation of a new state, the other, with something that
people did right off the boat.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/