Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 2591

In a message dated 5/1/03 0:14:03, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org writes:

>I wonder if it is easier for Americans coming to gig in Canada?>

US musicians coming to perform or teach in Canada used to have to get a work
permit.  The rules seem to have changed.  Now you only need a permit if you
are playing in a bar.  Concerts are OK without the permit.

You should have a letter with you from the organizers that states what you
are doing and where.  Also, in our case (Deborah and myself), every time we
have entered Canada to perform or teach the organizer has contacted the
border authorities in advance to tell them when and where we were planning to
enter Canada.

It seems probable that there is some kind of reciprocity in the requirements.
 Canadians might want to look into this.

Jeff Warschauer