Klezperanto review

Just a few quick thoughts on last night's terrific show by Klezperanto
at the WAMC Performing Arts Show in Albany, N.Y.  Over time, the band is
growing tighter and performing more as an ensemble, which of course was
inevitable.

But the players are also finding their more distinctive niches. Last
night I was particularly struck by Brandon Seabrook's playing on banjo
and guitar. The best thing about his banjo playing is he doesn't play
the banjo like a banjo, he plays it like a guitar. Drummer Grant Smith
adds lots of flavorful percussion colors to his steady beats. Evan
Harlan is of course a master accordionist, and he may well be the glue
holding it all together.

Ilene Stahl, of course, is one of the best clarinetists in all the land.
But maybe it was Mark Hamilton who really won me over in a new way last
night more than anyone. His trombone playing is spectacular. It's a
difficult instrument, especially as a lead instrument, but he wields it
with deft authority, often playing it as sharp as a trumpet.

But what REALLY stood out last night was his work as an arranger. The
group debuted two new pieces: "Naftule New Delhi," and "Klez Cop" both
arranged by Mark. The former, based on an old Brandwein tune, was
klezmer meets Bollywood. I happen to be a huge fan of Bollywood music,
so maybe I was a sucker to begin with for that tune. But the arrangement
was incredibly innovative, especially Evan's and Brandon's playing.
"KlezCop" married klezmer to 1970s TV cop show music, with a noirish,
jazzy feel.

Sometimes Klezperanto's music, even their best music, skirts the edges
of novelty, which isn't in and of itself a bad thing if it's done well.
But there is no denying the players' skill and ingenuity, and at their
best, they transcend novelty and achieve the sort of Ellingtonian
pastiche for which I think they're striving.

Very much looking forward to seeing Brandon again tonight at Club
Helsinki with Naftule's Dream.

Seth Rogovoy
author of "The Essential Klezmer: A Music Lover's Guide to Jewish Roots
and Soul Music"
"invaluable" -- New York Times
"indispensable" -- George Robinson, Jewish Week
http://www.rogovoy.com