Jewish Jazz (was Main Interest)

Alf,

Does the name of Henryk Gold (b. 1898 d. ?) sound familiar?
According to the "A Great European Big Bands Database" (http://nfo.net), he:

"was a pioneer in the history of Polish jazz and dance music, as well as
being one of the most prolific song writers in Poland during the inter-war
years. Gold was born in 1898 in Warsaw into a very musical family in which
all of the children were encouraged to play various instruments. His
brother, Artur Gold (1903-1943), was also an orchestra leader and composer
of note, writing many of the tangos that were popular during the 1920?s and
30?s. Gold became a violinist of some accomplishment, and his very Orthodox
Jewish family presumed that he would take up a concert career, or play with
a symphony orchestra.

During the period immediately after WWI when Poland again became
independent, Jazz, as popularized by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, began
to sweep Europe from west to east. Henryk Gold was caught up in the extreme
popularity of this music and followed the lead of Zygmunt Karasinski, a
saxophonist, who founded the very first Polish jazz band in 1923."

Lots more on that site.

Regards,

Lloica

On the move? Get Hotmail on your mobile phone http://www.msn.co.uk/mobile