Re: Query about mid-20th c. Italian Jewish music

Dear Seth (and Judith Monachina),
this question opens quite a large issue.

I have been working on Italian Jewish music for a while now,
especially in the 19-20 centuries (a completely unexplored period)
and keep asking myself some basic questions, which I will try to
share here with the list.
At the same time, I will try to give some ideas about Judith's query.

Let me try to divide this issue in two parts, leaving liturgical music aside:

1. Italian Jewish "Popular" Music
As far as I can tell, there were very few instances of such a thing
-- or an equivalent of "klezmer".
Again, the central issue of what "popular music" is for the Jews
comes into the picture (including the question about klezmer being a
"popular music")... but I will not go into that now.
In Italy, it is a fair assumption to say -- most definitely about
modern/contemporary times -- that the popular music of the Jews and
of the non Jews was the same.
This included both folk songs -- which eventually became a
"co-territorial repertoire" (that is, shared among Jews and Gentiles
within the same area, as Zev Feldman defines one of the klezmer
repertoires; I presented an extraordinary version of Had gadya in
Judeo-Piedmontese in the CD "Italian Jewish Musical Traditions") --
AND, in some instances, even Opera.

Opera can come into the picture as popular music (especially 18 --
and early 19 century opera), since in Italy it was always perceived
also as a music for the common people, and not just for the elites.
Rossini and Verdi are good examples: and both of them were worshipped
by the Jews (the reasons for this in some other posting).
Popular music made by Jews in a Jewish setting has left very few
traces, and they are mostly connected with paraliturgical events (see
the Purim, Births and Weddings sections in the above mentioned CD).
Operetta, or light opera, should also be put in this category.

2. Jews and art music in Italy
The Jewish involvement in art music by no means stopped after the
late Renaissance/Baroque era. But ghetto life became more and more
grim as the centuries went by, and only after the Emancipation (mid
19th century) did Jews really join in with the rest of the country's
cultural endeavors. At that point, Jews became involved as performers
and soon enough as composers. They were mostly involved in opera at
first, but some were composers of operettas.
By the turn of the 20th century, many Jews became prominent in the
Italian Jewish world. Again, as performers, but also as musicologists
(the first study about Verdi was published by a Jewish researcher),
ethnomusicologists, historians (the Vivaldi renaissance was launched
by a Jewish professor, who held the first university chair of music
history in Italy's history), and, of course, composers.
Italian Jewish composers were involved in all fields, from the more
conservative (late Romantics, Wagnerians, etc.) to the most modernist
ones (but modernism in Italy was also, in a way, a part of the
establishment's culture, thus often connected with Fascism...). They
were numerous - relatively to the small Jewish population - and quite
prominent.
Did these composers turn to "Jewish themes"? A few of them did.
Probably more would have, if they'd had the time to do so. All in
all, Jewish Emancipation in Italy lasted less than a century. In
1938, the anti-Semitic laws conceived by Mussolini's regime and
signed by the same royal family that in 1848 has signed the
emancipatory edicts, made in impossible for Jews to remain an active
part of Italy's mainstream culture. Most of these composers fled
their homeland, and only a few came back after the end of the war.

With few exceptions, these composers were almost entirely erased from
Italy's musical memory, and are very little known even within the
Jewish music world. A year ago, Yuval Italia started a research group
that is currently working on establishing biographical information
and list of compositions, as well as locating the scores. "New" names
come up all the time. A concert took place at the Music Conservatory
of Milan last January, presenting a first selection of works.

Yesterday, I was talking about this with the music librarians of the
National Library in Jerusalem, where I'm spending the academic year.
They were telling me that THEY know very little. I mentioned a few
names, which were unknown to them, and said that in most cases these
composers had been given appropriate entries in the Grove Dictionary
of Music. Their reply -- which was accurate -- was that only on very
few instances does Grove mention that they were Jewish... so how can
they know?

By studying 19th century sources, I now have access to what happened
to Jewish musicians of the previous generation (mostly active in
composing synagogue music... again, this should go into a different
posting!). The advantage in this is that I am no longer looking at
the immediate past retrospectively.

Nu, to make this long posting come to an end. I will be happy to
provide suggestions, contacts with performers, recordings, to Judith
Monachina or to answer more queries on this interesting subject.

I really appreciate the interest about this topic. It is crucial that
images are matched by the appropriate musical selections. In most
cases, anything that is "Italian/Jewish" is paired with Salomone
Rossi's music (which was probably almost never, or only occasionally
sung by actual Italian Jews...). Or, as in an otherwise beautiful
documentary by Daniele Segre on the synagogues of Piedmont, the only
soundtrack that anybody seems to be able to come up with for anything
"Jewish" is, inevitably, klezmer...

Hag sameah from Jerusalem,
Francesco

--

YUVAL ITALIA      Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval

     Francesco Spagnolo is the editor of the CD
       Italian Jewish Musical Traditions
  Tradizioni musicali degli ebrei italiani
                          available at
             http:www.jewish-music.org
            http:www.hatikvahmusic.com
                  http:www.giuntina.it