one more song / not so nurturing roles (Fagin)

p.s.  Fagin does also sing one other tune, without Jewish overtones in my
estimation: Be Back Soon, which does reflect the qualities you mention,
Lorele; he's solicitous of his boys (I guess I do intend the pun, but mainly
the word's primary meaning).

still, just to clarigy the highly ambiguous nature of his "nurturing" Jewish
role:  his relationship to those budding thieves, while it is caring its way,
is that of a classic middleman.  he is the fence for their stolen goods, who
clearly gives them enough to live on while hoarding the profits for himself;
so they depend on him, and he does take care of them, but it's not a model of
good parenting, or truly mutually beneficial business dealing even.  in fact,
it's more the model for record labels execs (many unfortunately Jewish) who
would take care of the car and house payments of R&B stars while depriving
them of any royalty rights, leaving them in poverty later on.  much
resentment is shown toward Fagin by Bill Sikes and his worldly girlfriend,
Nancy, adult associates who also use him as a fence and are more vociferously
aware that they may be getting a low price in exchange for the stolen goods
they provide him.

there's also the matter of the kidnapping and isolation/intimidation of young
Oliver by Fagin and Sikes, which is even worse in the book than the play or
film form... this act, though Fagin is reluctant to carry it out, certainly
shows that Fagin's self-interest predominated more than it did for Nancy, the
most nurturing character in Oliver!'s underworld (not a Jew; just a woman
with maternal instincts) who in the end sacrifices her own safety to return
Oliver to a better life away from the criminal milieu where she herself is
stuck in a classic battered-woman syndrome relationship (her big
introspective song is As Long As He Needs Me, about the man who later kills
her).  this unfortunately seems also to be a role Bart might also have
sympathized with, as from what I've read he was at times beaten and robbed by
his rough-trade tricks but still found more like them ... not unlike what
befell Brian Epstein sometimes, when threats of blackmail may have prevented
them going to the police.

anyone on Ron Moody?  I have seen him in one of those joke movie-star-in
-unlikely-role reading the Yiddish Forward photos in the lobby of Workmen's
Circle in NYC, with some Arabic headdress on.  But knowing he was famous as
Fagin, I wonder if the Forverts is so far-fetched in his hands?  I'm sure
everyone in the English-speaking world named Fagen and Fagin has been asked
about this role many times, by the way.  there's a stage manager from some
glam punk band famous in the UK in the 70s who signs that LP cover "Pick a
Pocket" too.

thanks again - Eve