Ropes before creativity

The topic of learning the ropes before becoming creative caused Judith
Cohen to recall that one of her teachers had once mentioned a specific
apocryphal story about Ludwig van Beethoven.  As I recall, someone found
an instance of parallel fifths in one of his string quartets, to which he
replied something like 'When done thus, I may do that,' with a huge
emphasis on the word "I."

But for much of Jewish music, learning the ropes before becoming creative
would equate with learning prayer modes and Torah and haftorah trope.  I
wonder what effect that would have on the output of the guitar-accompanied
singer-songwriters.

Shabbat Shalom, everybody, and be nice to each other.

Fred Blumenthal
xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->