The Pianist; Gender Titles

A recent post (or some recent posts) wondered about Mr. Szpilman's ability
to remain in Poland after the Holocaust.  I was able to read the review of
this movie in The New Yorker last night, and the critic wrote that Mr. S.
proceeded through the whole experience as if in a trance, concentrating on
the music, escaping death through others' actions more than his own, and
at the end of the movie smiling while playing Chopin.  Apparently everyone
who went through that experience had enormous reactions to it, but the
reactions vary enormously.  Another musician who survived while playing in
and even directing the inmate orchestra at Auschwitz was Simon Lacks, who
wrote of his experiences in "Music of Another World."

With regard to a gender-neutral language that replaces "manhole," etc.:
I've long advocated replacing "Mr." and "Ms." with "M.," but not an
abbreviation of the French "Monsieur."  Then everyone would sound like a
question.

Fred Blumenthal
xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->