Re:Kol Isha: purpose

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judith R Cohen" <judithc (at) YorkU(dot)CA>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 12:25 AM
Subject: purpose

Judith:
    I would think that any discussion related to Jewish music has purpose,
especially when half of Jews, the ones who give birth to Jews AND BRING THEM
UP, are told they can't sing in front of the
    other half.

An argument to change one tradition loses some strength when it appeals to
the perpetuation of another tradition as part of its reasoning.  The
bringing them (Jewish children) up does not fall exclusively or even
primarily on women in many modern families, including my own.

Bob